Monday, July 2, 2007

Week One - West

I'm so sorry I'm late. I've had a food poisoning for the last 3 days. (Not from local food(: ) Word of warning, don't eat seafood that's been sitting out for a while no matter if the shrimp cakes are calling your name.
I'm still recovering so please excuse the lateness.
Week 1-Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler
My first week's OLS meal was fried green tomatoes, grilled zucchini, strawberry rhubarb cobbler and blueberry slab pie. I'm still unable to find really local flour. What I've been buying is 120 miles away and milled onsite so I'm going to call is close. I didn't take photos of the tomatoes and zucchini because we devoured them before I remembered to take a photo. DOH! But I did hold back the natives so I could take a photo of the desserts.
Week 1-Blueberry Slab Pie
We've got some amazing posts from the west.

Laura at Urban Hennery made a wonderful Joe's Scramble with eggs from her own backyard! I thought the potatoes on the side were grapes at first glance. What delicious little things those little potatoes are. She even has her distances per item listed. Wonderful job Laura!

Cookie Crumb's photos are amazing! Her stuffed cabbage rolls are definately an inspiration. I love her posting of the thought process on making the meal. And she gives a shout out to Mommy Mosh Pit for her entertaining will all local food.

Amy's Yard Frittata looks amazing. And it includes reindeer sausage. That sounds very interesting. What does reindeer taste like Amy?

Krystle and Hans-Peter made a wonderful Pasta Primavera using bow-tie pasta. Bow-tie is definatly a favorite at our house.
"Although “primavera” means “spring” we decided to bend the rules by using summer squash!"

Way to work with seasonal ingredients! Delizioso!

Lauren attempted gnocci but settled on zucchini, chard, blue potato and roasted red pepper casserole, Roasted smashed potatoes with garlic & parsley, mixed string bean and mint salad. She includes recipes as well. She even improvised and used beer instead of wine in a recipe. She also included a google map of where her ingredients came from.

Kathy made a wonderful meal but was a bit pre-occupied:
"I prepared a delicious meal of local hanger steaks, fresh greens from my garden and sugar peas from my garden. Unfortunately, we ate it all before I remembered to take a picture. My excuse is somewhat exceptable….I was busy all day helping my daughter get ready for her trip to Europe. She left early this morning. The picture really isn’t the significance of the challenge, its’ the mindset."

Ms. D had one heck of an adventure for her first OLS post. Lets just say she survived OLS week one.(:

Trina had one amazing salad from her CSA produce. They're going camping this week plan on eating their OLS meal on the road. Can't wait to see how that goes. It should be pretty cool.

Sarah made a wonderful meal of egg and zucchini scramble and sauteed baby beets and greens. Crusty home baked herb bread and a glass of home brewed lavender mead. Home brewed lavender mead people! How cool is that. It sounds amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment